My Compiled AAPD Intern Blog, by Alec Frazier and Autistic Reality

FRIDAY, MAY 27, 2011

How I Got Here: The Road to the 2011 AAPD Summer Internship

2011 AAPD Summer Intern Alec Frazier in Front of the White House
My name is Alec Frazier, 24 at the moment, from Ithaca, New York. I am a person with disabilities and I am very proud of that, as I am proud of all facets of my character. On a day-to-day basis I live with Asperger's syndrome, a high functioning form of autism that comes coupled with, in my case, bipolar disorder, ADD, obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), dysgraphia, digital atonia, and facial atonia among other disorders.

When I was young I spoke before politicians, to raise funding for children in special education. My first job however, was in a library. Throughout my career I have balanced interests in library sciences and politics. On a trip to the Massachusetts State House and the historic collections library it contained, I realized that I could mix the two and go for a dream job in archiving.

The next few years of my life were focused on improving my academic standing, which paid off when I was admitted to the State University of New York's University at Buffalo. I am currently obtaining my bachelor's degree in political science, and if all goes well I will pursue a Masters in Library science/archiving.

It was at the University at Buffalo that the assistant director of disability services informed me of this internship opportunity. I love Washington, DC architecturally, culturally, historically, and politically, so I jumped at the chance. There are an infinite number of positions at which the AAPD could have placed me, and none could have suited me better than the DC Library for the Blind and Physically Handicapped. I have already met my supervisor, as well as gotten a general overview of what I will be doing there. I shall go more into depth about that in next week's blog.

Well, I'm beat. I have had a long day of orientation and will now prepare myself some supper. Make haste to the pizza rolls!

POSTED BY ITHACAN AT 10:10 AM 0 COMMENTS  

LABELS: 2011 AAPD INTERNS, AAPD, ALEC FRAZIER, ASPERGER'S SYNDROME,AUTISM



SUNDAY, JUNE 5, 2011

A Dress Code for All Occasions -- by Alec Frazier

During the course of this internship, I can tell what kind of day I am going to have by what I am going to wear. Choices are: casual, smart casual, business casual, and business formal.
Alec Frazier Presents on Chapter 5 of "No Pity"
Orientation week went by rather quickly in the long scheme of things. The first day was a smart casual kind of day during which we discussed topics essential to the internship while still having fun. The next day was also smart casual and although fun, was labor intensive with breakout sessions to discuss our presentations on “No Pity.” The next three days however, were business formal. We met at the very posh offices of K. & L. Gates where we made presentations, met disability rights pioneers, and had lunch with our supervisors. By the end of the day on Friday I had toured my office, and headed home after seeing the National Portrait Gallery with my tie in my computer bag and my dress shirt unbuttoned.
Alec Frazier Poses with the Famous Australopithecus afarensis Skeleton "Lucy"
The next three days of the long weekend were casual days. On the first I went to Mount Vernon and only got about half of the sightseeing done. Washington’s estate is a really big place more befitting the title of Hamlet because of its size and all that goes on there. The next day I went to the National Museum of Natural History with my roommate and fellow intern Michael Grant. As is true with Mount Vernon, the museum is simply too big to see in one day. The next day I met with my mentor, Mathew McCollough, and over sushi we discussed my learning objectives.

The following week was mostly smart casual with one exception. Wednesday was business casual because I had a meeting with her Honor the Ambassador Jean Kennedy Smith, the last surviving sibling of John F. Kennedy, former peace brokering Ambassador to Ireland, and founder of the Very Special Arts (VSA), the premier organization for integrating people with disabilities into the arts. Ambassador Smith was a very kind and surprisingly casual woman who took down notes as me and others suggested concepts to improve the marketability, image, and reach of VSA. When the meeting had closed I said, “Your Honor, the work you and your family have done for people with disabilities makes life all that much more worth living.” I got a standing ovation from Ambassador Smith. She literally stood up and clapped. It is a moment unlike any other in my life and will most likely never be equaled again.

As I have mentioned the week was mostly smart casual with the occasional casual thrown in. Because I work for the DC Library for the Blind and Physically Handicapped, there is never a need to be too formal. Some of my duties include seemingly mundane tasks like burning audio files and shelving them, while others include making presentations. Every Saturday, the DC Library for the Blind and Physically Handicapped has an adaptive technology seminar where other things may be addressed as well. On this past Saturday, I spoke on cross disability outreach and introduced my internship. I find it vital that people know about the AAPD and what it does for its clients.
Alec Frazier Poses in Front of the US Capitol
I had this past Friday off, during which I went to the US Capitol and the Library of Congress Jefferson Building. The US Capitol is arguably the most iconic building in the world and in my opinion, the Jefferson Building is the most beautiful. Today I again went to the National Museum of Natural History with Michael Grant, and we still aren’t finished. Some things just take their time. For those of you who are friends with me on Facebook, you should check out the beautiful images in my photo albums from my trip to Washington.

Take care!
My Mountainous Lunch One Day
I’m sure there’s a hot dog in there somewhere!
POSTED BY ITHACAN AT 8:22 PM  

LABELS: ALEC FRAZIER, JEAN KENNEDY SMITH, MAT MCCOLLOUGH, VSA



SUNDAY, JUNE 12, 2011

Wondrous Things - by Alec Frazier

My week has been very full, but in a good way.

Alec Frazier with his Supervisor, Venetia V. Demson
The first two weeks of my job working for the DC Library for the Blind and Physically Handicapped has consisted of orientation. You see, in addition to me there has been another intern at that library for this time. He permanently works Reference at the National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped and has spent these past two weeks learning how a regional library works. So for his benefit and mine, the DC Library for the Blind set up an orientation where we would shadow library workers and attend meetings, as well as learning the how-tos of basic tasks. My current project is very fun: I’ve been transcribing mountains of business cards into Excel files, thereby making searching out contacts much easier for my coworkers.

I have also had exciting “extracurriculars”. On Thursday evening, I went to the HSC Foundation Advocacy of Disabilities Award ceremony on the invitation of my mentor, Mat McCullough. The HSC Foundation is a worthy cause for its efforts to help youth and many other related charitable activities. All during the social mixer that preceded the actual awards ceremony, we watched slideshows of the plans and design for the HSC Foundation’s new Youth Transition Center. In addition to Mat McCullough, many disability rights activists of our day where there, many of whom we know of. It was a social and business networking frenzy! Not to mention the food was excellent!
Alec Frazier at Historic Mount Vernon
The highlight of my week however, was getting to see my father, Donald Frazier. For those of you who do not know, I am from Ithaca, New York and go to school in Buffalo. My father lives in the Denver metro area of Colorado. Indeed, although I am from the Boston area, I lived in Boulder, Colorado for many years in between that time and my current residency. I usually get to see my father when I visit Colorado every summer. Clearly that is out of the cards this summer, so I am very glad that he came to visit me. On Wednesday night, we went out for supper in Georgetown and caught up with each other. On Thursday, he took me to lunch and I gave him a tour of my workplace. And on Saturday, I finished up my earlier trip to Mount Vernon—which he had never been to—and spend the best father-son bonding time that I can imagine!
Alec Frazier’s Father, Donald Frazier at Historic Mount Vernon
It is 10:50 and time to get to bed. This weekend was the culmination of Capital Pride. I am a gay American, and although I am not at all a religious person, I believe that we are created in this universe to be free to be ourselves. I will leave you with a quote from Dolly Parton’s “Travelin’ Through”, the theme song to “Transamerica”.

“God made me for a reason,

and nothing is in vain,

redemption comes in many shapes,

and many kinds of pain.”

POSTED BY ITHACAN AT 10:57 PM

LABELS: ALEC FRAZIER, DONALD FRAZIER, HSC FOUNDATION, MAT MCCOLLOUGH, MOUNT VERNON



SUNDAY, JUNE 19, 2011

Am I Dreaming?

The Thomas Jefferson Building
I interrupt my regular blogcast to bring you news of my activities this past Wednesday.
The Dome of the Main Reading Room of the Library of Congress
Am I dreaming? If so, I do not want to wake up.

Because I work in the DC Library for the Blind and Physically Handicapped, I have certain connections. Through my connections to the National Library for the Blind and Physically Handicapped, I was able to get a behind the scenes tour of the Library of Congress.
Thomas Jefferson’s Library
Although I am a major in political science, it is my dream goal to become either a special collections librarian, or an archivist in the same vein. As such, the Library of Congress means the world to me. That, and as I have mentioned in my blog before, the Thomas Jefferson Building of the Library of Congress is easily the most beautiful place in the world. And I’ve been all over. Yes, I’ve already been there twice during this trip, but that is not nearly enough to absorb the meaning behind all of the beautiful allegory in the building’s art and architecture.

We started out having lunch in the cafeteria of the James Madison Memorial Building of the Library of Congress, the biggest library building in the world as well as our nation’s official memorial to the fourth president and “Father of the Constitution”. From there we made our way via the tunnel system that spreads beneath Capitol Hill to the Jefferson Building across the street.
The Main Control Room of the Library of Congress
Once there, we were given a very privileged look at the Main Control Room directly beneath the Main Reading Room. It is from this room that all requests for books in the Library of Congress issued forth. It also contains an old conveyor system, still working, to bring books to the desk of the Main Reading Room above. There is also a staircase leading directly to that desk.
The Book Stacks of the Library of Congress
From there, we went to the book stacks that have filled in the courtyards of the Jefferson Building since it was built. As is naturally the case with the biggest library in the world, these stacks are overflowing with copies of every single book ever copyrighted in the United States of America, and many from foreign countries as well.
The Card Catalog Collection of the Library of Congress
Many of these stacks also house the card catalog collection, which has records of every surviving book in the Library of Congress since its founding in 1800 up until 1968 when the records were digitized. We were told to be quiet, and a door was opened. I beheld the wonders around me.
The Main Reading Room of the Library of Congress
We were in the Main Reading Room. It is a space that to me, Alec Frazier is holier than any place of worship, and almost any concept that I can think of.
The Great Hall of the Jefferson Building of the Library of Congress
We ended our tour by going through the Great Hall, which is the most richly decorated space that I can think of, and those of you who know me know that I can think of a lot…
Alec Frazier behind the Librarian’s Desk in the Main Reading Room of the Library of Congress
At the end of the day, I applied for and received a reader’s card so that I may visit any of the reading rooms whenever I want! This was a magical experience and I am so glad that I could share it with you.

POSTED BY ITHACAN AT 2:50 PM

LABELS: ALEC FRAZIER, JAMES MADISON MEMORIAL BUILDING, LIBRARY OF CONGRESS, THOMAS JEFFERSON BUILDING



SUNDAY, JUNE 26, 2011

Monuments, Museums, and Merriment -- by Alec Frazier

Forgive me for being brief this week, but I am exhausted.
Alec Frazier Nibbles on Some of His Birthday Pizza
At work I have settled into the day-to-day. I wouldn’t say it is boring, but unless something unusual happens, it is not too terribly exciting either. However this past Wednesday, June 22, was my 25th birthday. My boss ordered pizza for the entire office, and we had a great time socializing.
Alec Frazier stands beside the Statue of FDR sitting in a Wheelchair
On Saturday, the AAPD internship program had a special guided tour of the Franklin Delano Roosevelt Memorial. The focus of the tour was the long uphill battle to gain recognition of FDR’s disability in the construction of the memorial. Whatever one’s view of FDR’s policies—I happen to think he is the greatest person to have ever lived—it is hard to ignore the superhuman tenacity he had to overcome his disability and change the country and the world. Afterwards, my roommate Michael Grant and I saw three other memorials: the Lincoln Memorial, the Korean War Memorial, and the World War II Memorial. The latter two are significant to me because I have family who fought very hard, and in one case died, in those conflicts.
An Avid Trekkie, Alec Frazier Poses with the Model of the USS Enterprise NCC-1701 used in Star Trek: The Original Series
On Sunday I went to the National Air and Space Museum in the morning, and as anyone can tell you, it was a blast. In the afternoon, I went to the US Holocaust Memorial Museum with my mentor, Mat McCollough. A German Jew, my grandfather and his family escaped Nazi Germany and fled to the Americas, first Panama, then Cuba, and eventually Miami. He joined the U.S. Army and became a citizen, and helped liberate Germany and bring Nazis to trial. After the war, he and his family returned to Germany and the rest, they say, is history.

Well, I will leave you with this because I am thoroughly tired:

“Destiny is no matter of chance. It is a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved.”

—William Jennings Bryan

POSTED BY ITHACAN AT 6:42 PM  

LABELS: BIRTHDAY, FDR, FRANKLIN DELANO ROOSEVELT MEMORIAL, KOREAN WAR MEMORIAL, MAT MCCOLLOUGH, MEMORIALS, NATIONAL AIR AND SPACE MUSEUM, STAR TREK, US HOLOCAUST MEMORIAL MUSEUM, WORLD WAR II MEMORIAL



MONDAY, JULY 4, 2011

Trials and Tribulations at the Office, A Visit from My Mom, and…THOSE ARE THE BIGGEST, CUTEST, FLUFFIEST BUNNIES I HAVE EVER SEEN! -- by Alec Frazier

My work at the office this week was much of the same as it has already been. The DC Library for the Blind and Physically Handicapped is not a shining jewel of professionalism: we joke, we tell stories, we can occasionally be crass and a little bit on the nose and before we open to the public, the occasional curse word can sometimes be heard. So one can understand how it is difficult to establish boundary between my workplace’s pervasive semi-professionalism and full on non-professionalism.

On Tuesday, one of my coworkers discovered that his Gmail account had been hacked into, which caused him to be a little bit more irritable on Wednesday. On my lunch break, I attempted to play a song for another coworker and when the first coworker told me rather abruptly to turn it off, I made a small scene about how I did not believe that his attitude in general that day had been warranted. This coworker is not my supervisor but he told me to leave for the day and after discussing things with my supervisor and Michael Murray at the AAPD, I realized that he was probably still reacting to his e-mail being hacked, and that I was not being punished. The next day the coworker and I spoke with my supervisor at everything was made right. The coworker even invited me out to dinner and dessert, his treat.
Famous Wally Amos Hugs Mayor Vincent C. Gray
On Friday, Wally Amos, the author, public speaker, literacy advocate, and founder of Famous Amos Cookies held his 75thbirthday at the DC Public Library where I work. The mayor was also in attendance, as were some other celebrities…
Alec Frazier Holding Willy, While His Mom Danielle Fuld and Her Friend Karen Zeiders Pet Shakes
Also in attendance were Willie and Shakes, famous therapy bunnies who travel around the district spreading goodwill and cuteness. And let me tell you, these 20-25 pound balls of love do their job. They are very calming. They have even written a book and several columns for a local newspaper, which is very fitting considering that their full names are William and Shakespeare. They are not rabbits. They are not hares. They. Are. Bunnies! That is, if you can find the bunny amidst all of the fluff…
Alec and His Mom Hug at the Smithsonian Folk Life Festival
That day, my mom Danielle Fuld and her friend Karen Zeiders had arrived during the Wally Amos festivities and she took me out to lunch after I took her on a tour of my office. That night, I went out to dinner at Carmine’s with Karen, my mom, and my mentor Mat McCullough. The next day, we went to the Smithsonian folk life Festival, the National Gallery of Art, and the National Museum of American History. I love my mom!

I hope you all have a good Independence Day, and take care during your internships to visit the National Archives and Records Administration, where you can see the original Declaration of Independence, Constitution, and Bill of Rights.

POSTED BY ITHACAN AT 4:08 PM  

LABELS: BUNNIES, CUTE, FAMOUS AMOS, FLUFF, LITERACY, LOVE, SMITHSONIAN FOLKLIFE FESTIVAL, THERAPY, VINCENT C. GRAY



MONDAY, JULY 11, 2011

Pure Exhaustion, Friends, and the Zoo -- by Alec Frazier

Male Giant Panda Tian Tian at the National Zoo
Hi. All week I seem to have been just barely clinging on with chronic fatigue and migraine headaches. It should be noted that I have not expended this much effort on living a healthy, productive life in years. So despite my weariness, I am very happy and content.
A Male Common Cuttlefish at the National Zoo. Sooooooo CUTE!!!
On Friday I went out for a great dinner at Clyde's with my mentor, Mat McCollough, and some friends of his. It turns out that one of them lives down the block from my school-time residence in Buffalo! We exchanged information and promised to stay in touch.
A Giant Anteater looks for food--ants, of course--in the wall of his enclosure at the National Zoo.
On Sunday I went to the National Zoo with my Roommate Michael Grant, and we had a really fulfilling time. All in all a rewarding end to a week of hard work!

POSTED BY ITHACAN AT 4:54 PM  

LABELS: ANTEATERS, CUTE, CUTTLEFISH, MAT MCCOLLOUGH, NATIONAL ZOO, PANDAS



MONDAY, JULY 18, 2011

Meetings -- by Alec Frazier

This week, I went to a lot of meetings.
Alec Frazier is Ready for His Business Week!
On Monday, I went to a Session of the US Access Board. My mentor, Mat McCollough, is a new Public Member of the Board appointed by the President. The US Access Board creates and rules on guidelines for the compliance of the ADA as it pertains to physical disability. When I went they were discussing "Transfer": when someone with physical accommodation i.e. wheelchair, canes, crutches moves to non-disabled placement, i.e. roller coaster, chair, medical table. The committee hearing was born of a study that was originally designed to help mainstream people with physical disabilities at theme parks. It is still preliminary, but so far it is the only in-depth study on the matter.
David Hale introduces Mark Perriello and Joyce Bender as the respective new President & CEO and Board Chair of AAPD
On Tuesday, I attended the opening of the 2011 Annual NCIL conference; more on that later. That evening, the AAPD Summer Interns were presented with two very special people. Mark Perriello is our new President and CEO, and it is really fun speaking with him! He and I had conversed before at an HSC function. Meeting Joyce Bender, AAPD's new Board Chair, was a wonderful experience. I would recommend that everyone join Bender Lead On Team, her effort against the bullying of people with disabilities. As a personal note, I wish that everyone also join It Gets Better, the internationally famous campaign against the bullying of people because of their gender identity and/or sexual orientation.
Secretary of Health and Human Services Kathleen Sebelius Gives the Keynote Speech before NCIL
It was great to hear about AAPD's efforts to save Medicaid. I might be dead without Medicaid, so this is personal for me. The Declaration boldly proclaims "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness." The Constitution promises to "provide for the general welfare" and through the Fourteenth Amendment guarantees "equal protection under the law", and this pertains to healthcare as well. And although I don't follow a traditional religion, I know the Bible says, "blessed are the poor" and "blessed are the meek".
Alec Frazier with Congresswoman Kathy Hochul of Western New York’s 26th Congressional District
The NCIL Conference was great! The only problem I have is that the conference focused too much on the organization, that is the National Council on Independent Living, and not enough on the practice of independent living itself. But, we were there to do business, and I tagged along with my state's (New York's) delegation in putting our case to Congressmen, both Senators and Representatives. I even got to meet my University's Representative, Kathy Hochul of New York's 26th!

POSTED BY ITHACAN AT 1:28 PM  

LABELS: AAPD, JOYCE BENDER, MARK PERRIELLO, MAT MCCOLLOUGH, NCIL,TRANSFER, US ACCESS BOARD



MONDAY, JULY 25, 2011

Kids these days… -- by Alec Frazier

The Donald W. Reynolds Center for American Art and Portraiture in the Old Patent Office Building
This week, my workplace was home to a camp for children with visual impairments. There was a lot of activity and noise as they learned how to use screen-reading software, were taught internet safety, and generally socialized. During this time I was known more formally as "Mr. Alec!"
Glass Canopy of Robert and Arlene Kogod Courtyard
On Wednesday we went to the International Spy Museum. Unfortunately, it was overwhelming for us all. The folks there did not do a good job of making the museum accessible, and there were loud sounds, almost shoulder-to-shoulder crowds, and tight spaces. Many of the kids couldn't comprehend what was going on, neither could a person with Sensory Integration Disorder, such as myself.
The Former Patent Display Halls of the Old Patent Office Building
On Friday, we went to the Donald W. Reynolds Center for American Art and Portraiture. Built as the Patent Office Building, it is now home to the National Portrait Gallery and the Museum of American Art, both of which are branches of the Smithsonian Institute.
The Newseum
On Saturday, our internship went to the Newseum, the News Museum. It's amazing how much they had: the pen used to sign over the U.S.S.R.'s nuclear arsenal to Russia; a package sent by "Patches the Clown", otherwise known as serial killer John Wayne Gacy; a section of the Berlin Wall and a corresponding Watch Tower; and the death mask of John Dillinger, America's most notorious bank robber. What will knock your socks off is that this is all just on one floor of a seven-story museum!
Alec Poses on the Hank Greenspun Terrace, with the U.S. Capitol behind Him
Afterwards, we went out to eat at the Capitol Grille and a good time was had by all!
AAPD Interns and Staffers Finish Dessert at the Capitol Grille

POSTED BY ITHACAN AT 5:27 PM  

LABELS: CAPITOL GRILLE, DONALD W. REYNOLDS CENTER FOR AMERICAN ART AND PORTRAITURE, INTERNATIONAL SPY MUSEUM, MUSEUM OF AMERICAN ART, NATIONAL PORTRAIT GALLERY, NEWSEUM, SENSORY INTEGRATION DISORDER



TUESDAY, AUGUST 2, 2011

A Grand Old Time -- by Alec Frazier

Secretary of Health and Human Services Kathleen Sebelius Gives the Keynote Address at Justice for All
This past week was largely uneventful, except for one huge event! The AAPD's Justice for All 21st anniversary celebration of the ADA was a blast!
Minority Whip of the United States House of Representatives Steny Hoyer addresses Justice for All
One friend back home asked me what my day looked like, so I told her:

"Today I worked at the library, sorted through shelving, grabbed a hotdog, organized a list of links for a website, talked with Mom quick, rode across town in the subway, had group pictures taken, practiced intern graduation, attended a social mixer, listened to a number of influential speakers, and graduated."
Alec Frazier and His Mentor, Mat McCollough
There were too many important people at the event to count, and I made countless contacts for future business. Who knows? Maybe some will pay off…

POSTED BY ITHACAN AT 1:10 PM  

LABELS: AAPD, ADA, ALEC FRAZIER, KATHLEEN SEBELIOUS, MAT MCCOLLOUGH, STENY HOYER

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Holiday Letter from Alec Frazier 2020, By Alec Frazier and Autistic Reality

My Coming Out Story, By Alec Frazier and Autistic Reality